2 hours ago
Every year around this time I see the same debates about winter storage and honestly half the advice out there is either overkill or just plain wrong. Figured I'd share what's worked for me after too many seasons of wrenching.
Full tank of gas with stabilizer, run it through the system so it reaches the injectors. Battery on a tender, not just disconnected. Oil change before storage, not after, because used oil has acids in it. Wash and wax it, then fog the cylinders if it's carbureted. For fuel injected bikes I don't bother with fogging.
Big one people miss: tires. Either get them off the concrete or move the bike a few inches every couple weeks to avoid flat spots. And don't start it up periodically thinking you're doing it a favor. You're just building condensation in the cases.
What's your routine? Anyone doing anything different that actually works?
Full tank of gas with stabilizer, run it through the system so it reaches the injectors. Battery on a tender, not just disconnected. Oil change before storage, not after, because used oil has acids in it. Wash and wax it, then fog the cylinders if it's carbureted. For fuel injected bikes I don't bother with fogging.
Big one people miss: tires. Either get them off the concrete or move the bike a few inches every couple weeks to avoid flat spots. And don't start it up periodically thinking you're doing it a favor. You're just building condensation in the cases.
What's your routine? Anyone doing anything different that actually works?
