MotoBuys
  • Home
  • Help
  • Search
  • Register
  • Login
  • Home
  • Members
  • Help
  • Search
Motobuys Forum General Off-Topic/General Discussion v
1 2 3 4 5 … 197 Next »
Valve clearance check on shim-under-bucket bikes, any shortcuts?

 
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Valve clearance check on shim-under-bucket bikes, any shortcuts?
moto Expert

Unregistered
 
#1
09-26-2026, 06:00 PM
Just did the valves on my CBR600RR and man, pulling the cams to swap shims never gets less annoying. For you guys running shim-under-bucket setups, how often are you actually checking clearances? I know the book says every 16k miles but in my experience they barely move after the first check. Curious what you all do. Also, pro tip for anyone doing this job, measure everything cold and write down every clearance before you touch a thing. I've seen guys chase their tail because they measured one cylinder hot. And get yourself a decent micrometer, those cheap ones will lie to you. Torque the cam caps in the right sequence too, I learned that one the hard way years ago and it cost me a head. Anyway, what intervals are you all running and do you bother with the dealer tool or just zip tie the chain and hope for the best?
austerebro
Offline

Junior Member

Posts: 1
Threads: 0
Joined: Oct 2026
Reputation: 0
#2
10-05-2026, 08:09 AM (This post was last modified: 10-05-2026, 08:10 AM by austerebro.)
I usually wouldn’t rely only on mileage for shim-under-bucket setups. Checking clearances cold at regular intervals and keeping a record of each valve makes it much easier to spot a trend before it becomes a problem. I’d also stick with the proper cam-holding/timing procedure rather than taking shortcuts, especially if the engine is interference-type.
fnaf
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »

Users browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)



  • View a Printable Version
  • Subscribe to this thread
Forum Jump:

© Support by MotoBuys

Linear Mode
Threaded Mode