10-01-2026, 06:00 AM
Not trying to sound like your dad here, but after 15 years turning wrenches and a lot more than that riding, the close calls that stick with me were never mechanical. Every single one was a car that didnt see me.
Bike was always fine. Brakes fresh, tires good, chain adjusted. None of that matters when someone pulls out of a driveway staring at their phone.
Couple things I do now that I didnt used to. I run my high beam during the day, every ride. I position myself in the lane where I can see a drivers face in their mirror, not just their bumper. And I cover the front brake through every intersection, no exceptions. Costs nothing, saved me more than once.
Not saying ride scared. Just ride like youre invisible, because half the time you are. Anyone else got habits they picked up the hard way?
Bike was always fine. Brakes fresh, tires good, chain adjusted. None of that matters when someone pulls out of a driveway staring at their phone.
Couple things I do now that I didnt used to. I run my high beam during the day, every ride. I position myself in the lane where I can see a drivers face in their mirror, not just their bumper. And I cover the front brake through every intersection, no exceptions. Costs nothing, saved me more than once.
Not saying ride scared. Just ride like youre invisible, because half the time you are. Anyone else got habits they picked up the hard way?
