09-26-2026, 06:00 AM
So I've been riding for about 3 years now and I want to get into restoring. Found a 1982 Yamaha XS400 on marketplace for $600, owner says it ran when parked 8 years ago (famous last words right). Cosmetically it's rough, tank has some rust inside, seat is torn, but the frame looks straight and it turns over by hand.
My question is for the guys who've done this before. Is a non-runner a terrible idea for a first project? I know it needs tires, battery, carb rebuild, probably a full going through of the fuel system. I'm decent with a wrench but I've never torn into an engine. Part of me says buy it, part of me says save up for something that at least starts.
What would you offer for something like this? And any red flags I should be looking at when I go see it this weekend?
My question is for the guys who've done this before. Is a non-runner a terrible idea for a first project? I know it needs tires, battery, carb rebuild, probably a full going through of the fuel system. I'm decent with a wrench but I've never torn into an engine. Part of me says buy it, part of me says save up for something that at least starts.
What would you offer for something like this? And any red flags I should be looking at when I go see it this weekend?
